I've created this blog mainly to let family and friends know where we have been "Bush Camping" of late as well as a permanent record for us. Sort of an online Scrapbook I guess.
We live in the South East Queensland region of Australia, so I am trying to camp in places that are, at most, 3 hours from Brisbane. Places you can visit on a quick weekend trip, over a long weekend period, or take a week or fortnight to explore. On occassion, we may venture much further afield (here's hoping) and show some other destinations we've managed to locate.
I've tried, where possible, to add links to important things. Such as websites for the places, towns, national parks, state forests, or places of interest. Please click those to take you away from my site, to theirs ... but don't forget to come back! I've added these so that you may get up to date information about these places.
If there is something that I haven't covered or that you can't locate information on ... Contact Me has been set up for you to send me an email. It's for comments or questions you may have about anything to do with the blog itself, my photo's, our camper trailer, or the destinations. Please don't hesitate to provide information on other places we can go, as we are always happy to visit another location.
You can also learn more about me and our camper trailer by visiting the Other Pages links.
This time there is a difference to our journey … we
aren’t taking the camper.
Yes, you heard
No camper trailer.
Why? Well, it’s
going to be a hard slog for Glenn’s Ute.
The auto overheats at the sight of hill and with the camper on … we know
it’s going to hurt something. And this time it isn't just any hill. We’ll be 800 metres above sea level on a
track that’s 4WD only and steep sections that just go up and up and up. Poor Ute.
We are on the road a bit earlier for this trip, leaving at
0723. We are heading north again this
weekend, and take the highway up towards Gympie. The police are out in force this morning and
we see more speed camera’s than we’ve seen for a long while. Not sure what’s so special about this weekend
… perhaps they are broke? We also spot
the army heading south in tanks.
At the Mary River Link road, we take a left and head west.
On the road at 0756 and heading
for the highway north. The day has dawned
clear and bright but the forecast was for occasional showers. Today we are headed for another naturist venue
we haven't been to. We'll meet people we
On the road by 0800, and our destination
is Elephant Rock Naturally. The hour
plus trip in was okay. Some road works
made us stop for a few minutes and slowed us down a bit but this one is so close
to home so not a worry really. 1.25
hours on a good day. The weather is cool
and overcast due to a storm early morning.
Was very strange to see lightning and hear thunder in the dark and it
woke me up.
On the road a bit late this morning 0815, but the trip
will be longer than usual so not overly worried about it.First issue is getting past several schools
on our way to the highway. I can’t believe how driving rules go out the window
if you are a parent dropping your kids at school.The roundabout was choked with vehicles, so
that you couldn’t even get on it, due to vehicles no even bothering to give way
and allow others to use it.I’m assuming
the lights are red because those that are on the roundabout aren’t moving at
So Easter is here again.It means a long weekend with no packing up
for 3 whole days which we both think is divine! I had made plans to head to
Yandilla … even went so far as to make a booking, but David said it would be
busy and we might not get our favourite spot … especially now there is water in
So Glenn has chosen Fordsdale for our long weekend, as
we know it won’t be crowded.We have the
most ideal spot in mind as well.I
couldn’t get a hold of David by phone to cancel, so sent him an email via his
website.I hope he’s not too upset that
we won’t be attending.
We started out at our normal time.Glenn had suggested our destination for this
trip.Definitely worth a look as it’s
the largest 4WD park in the Great South East.Heading north along the Bruce
Highway, we take our turnoff at Caboolture and
head west to Kilcoy.
Traffic is moving well at all stages, but about 2k’s
before we take another right, we come to a complete standstill.It seems that there are some road works
halting our progress.Expected delays
are 15 minutes says the sign.And it’s
right.We pull up in line and wait.
This fortnight we are off to another textile optional camping ground.Glenn has been
investigating them on the net and found quite a few that accept well behaved
dogs.As an alternative to regular
camping areas, we’ve decided to try a few out.
16.02.13 The weather promise is occasional showers, but somehow
that’s not an issue for us.The day is a
bit cool and overcast to start with, but in less than ½ hour on the road, the
sun peaks out and stays with us.
It had been raining last week with Ex tropical cyclone
Oswald, so we were expecting that there would be good water in the creek.It also rained Thursday, so we were hoping
that we could make it there.I’d called
David on Wednesday to make the booking and he’d requested we call back on
Friday.When I called late Friday night,
he was surprised that we still wanted to come out, but was happy to accommodate.
We booked this trip rather late as I’d been trying to
contact another camp ground with no success alas. To date I've still not heard from them.
Arriving about 0930 onsite, we found that the site we
had booked had been taken by a family friend and being a rather hot weekend, we
would now have to set up and be in the hot, hot sun all day long.I tried to convince Glenn to take another
site that was lightly shaded, but was in close proximity to another large camping
group, but he wasn’t easily swayed.So
with no choice but to make the best of it we headed down to the sites with no
I’d been researching all the SEQ scout camps to find a
few we could stay at and found one less than an hour away.On contacting the gentleman running Guanaba
at the last possible minute, we found that he had a cancellation that morning
and was only too happy to let us hire out his facility.
Having no idea what the site was like other than what
can be seen on Google, we agreed to his terms and conditions.We’d need to pick up the key some 30k’s from our
destination and it’s further down the highway than we really need to go, but if
it gets us in the gate all well and good.
We are on the road late again for this trip, not
actually leaving home till 0900.We are
taking the Kid with us and have to organise our things around him which takes a
bit of time.It means taking less of our
things to get in more of his – tent, guitar, extra tarps and ropes, bedding,
mattress, clothes, extra food, etc.Alas
we have not made provisions in our usual organising of things for his stuff as
well, but we make do.He is a bit
crowded in the back seat.Our chairs
have been mounted on the trailer top and strapped down, so hoping it doesn’t
rain on them too much.