About Me

My photo
Queensland, Australia
Two Life Motto's: 1. It's All About The Journey 2. De Camino A La Verada - Do Not Stray From The Path.

Bush Camping ...

Bush Camping ...

I've created this blog mainly to let family and friends know where we have been "Bush Camping" of late as well as a permanent record for us. Sort of an online Scrapbook I guess.

We live in the South East Queensland region of Australia, so I am trying to camp in places that are, at most, 3 hours from Brisbane. Places you can visit on a quick weekend trip, over a long weekend period, or take a week or fortnight to explore. On occassion, we may venture much further afield (here's hoping) and show some other destinations we've managed to locate.

I've tried, where possible, to add links to important things. Such as websites for the places, towns, national parks, state forests, or places of interest. Please click those to take you away from my site, to theirs ... but don't forget to come back! I've added these so that you may get up to date information about these places.

If there is something that I haven't covered or that you can't locate information on ... Contact Me has been set up for you to send me an email. It's for comments or questions you may have about anything to do with the blog itself, my photo's, our camper trailer, or the destinations. Please don't hesitate to provide information on other places we can go, as we are always happy to visit another location.

You can also learn more about me and our camper trailer by visiting the Other Pages links.

Please Enjoy.
Tracey =^..^=

02.03.13 Pacific Sun (A Naturist Venue)

This fortnight we are off to another textile optional camping ground.  Glenn has been investigating them on the net and found quite a few that accept well behaved dogs.  As an alternative to regular camping areas, we’ve decided to try a few out. 

Leaving home rather late at 0830, we aren’t concerned of time due to not having to go far.  We head up the highway to the north side of the Brisbane River.  I’m always a bit hesitant when doing this as it usually means rain for us.

We find our way very easily and are onsite by 0930.  Once inside the entry, we find ourselves on what appears to be a landing strip … it’s long and narrow with coastal ti-tree wet land on either side.  Mozzies?  Probably.   We travel along this for about a kilometre before turning west for another kilometre and then south into the office area.

Check in is a longer process than we are used to as there are many things we need to know about the site – being first timers.  We have to sign “the rules” which we are told are just common sense really and lots of details about ourselves are taken.  Guess they want to make sure we aren’t the wrong type of person. 

The site is large as we note the map and our host makes many marks all over it.  I’m not sure we’ll remember what they all mean, but as she’s going over things it starts to pour outside the office. 

Car Windows!  Glenn heads out to close them and comes back in drowned.

About 30 minutes after we enter the office, we put our names on the board, and then we are getting back in the car.  We head straight down to the camps sites our host has mentioned and do a lap of the area for a look.  It’s much easier than walking currently as it’s still raining in earnest.  I think we’ve had an inch already.

Glenn pulls over and in a slight lull in the rain – although it’s still raining – we get out and grab the umbrella’s.  We’ll do the final search on foot.  I’ve seen one site further off the road that did appear to be higher ground and I want to check it a little closer.  Glenn also wants to check out a site further away from the main site. 

Umbrella’s in hand, we abandon the car and set out on foot.  I have to say the rain is torrential and we’ve attracted some locals.  Mosquito’s in their hundreds head straight for us – presumably to seek cover from the rain but also to eat us as best they can.  And they are hungry!  As we wander around I sometimes drop the brolly and let the rain wash as many away as I can.  We are walking very fast and I’m finding it hard to concentrate on the sites due to the interference.

We see the occasional other person, but I suspect all guests are inside behind closed screens for obvious reasons.  I am rather jealous of them at the moment.

The suggestion of just heading home is discussed.  I advise that tomorrow is meant to be fine and we discuss this for awhile.  In the end, we find the perfect site and uncertain about our situation, we set up, the whole time asking ourselves if we should be doing this … or heading home.  Too late now I guess … the canvas is soaked as are we.  It’s lunchtime too.  One of our closest camps and such a late setup.

Once the awning is up, the first thing we do is lather ourselves in anything to deter our extremely friendly locals.  This site is clothing optional, but I’m finding myself wearing long pants and sleeves and lathering up anything that might be showing with any toxic brew I can find.

Once settled in, we find that the rain is falling away from our campsite on all four sides – how perfect is that?  It certainly assists in making our current circumstance that bit nicer than it could be.

We are not going to be able to have a fire this trip.  Not because there is a rule against it, but because of the rain … it’s just not feasible.  So we are happy that we have the 4 burner stove with grill to fall back on.  It’ll be worth every cent this trip.  Glenn grabs out the grill plate though as we’ll be doing rissoles for lunch or dinner.  So glad we didn’t decide on a roast this time!  That would be very interesting to do on the 4 burner – we may have had to do it under the grill … grilled roast and veg? 

We spent most of the day under the awning swatting as many locals as we are able to.  I pity the pups here, but it seems their longer hair could be working better than our clothes.  I spray the toxic chemicals on my clothes.  I’m not sure it’s working at all.

Glenn decides to retire inside for a snooze.  I’m going to take the dogs for a wander around and let them stretch their legs.

I note that a lot of the sites have tables, chairs and a fire place.  The landscaping is wonderful with small gardens dotted everywhere.  On approach I notice plaques dotted everywhere.  All of them have sayings that on a nicer day might very well be appropriate.

I visit the amenities and they are spotlessly clean and very well appointed.  I also note they are ‘pay for hot water’ showers.  It does state the cost but not how long that might be for.  Guess we’ll find out should we decide to use them – I think it’s probable though.

Just past the amenities is a large open hall like building with tables, chairs and a kitchenette.  It also contains a stage and photos of events of the past. 

There is a tennis court which is a little overgrown and just off those are a few of what appear to be exercise machines which I’m not sure the use of.  I head back to the road and follow it away from the camp grounds for awhile.  There are smaller little camps down this way but all of them are sodden, with little rivers heading through.  Occasionally there are slabs for caravans or motor homes in these areas.  Heading further away from them, I’m basically in a tidal bush area.  Mosquitoes are relentless here and I head back to camp – occasionally trying to scare them away by removing the umbrella from overhead.  It doesn’t work terribly well.

Back at camp, I decide to relax and enjoy the sound of rain on canvas as best I can in the current circumstances.  Often I renew the toxic chemical mix on my exposed parts and clothing.  It hasn’t stopped raining and I wonder how much has fallen since we arrived.  The forecast was for rain today and sunshine with the occasional shower tomorrow.  Let’s hope they’ve got it right for once.
We are right beside a creek here and I find myself often checking the depth.  Right in front of us is a rather large drop directly into the drink.   The water is swirling and brown with debris being carried out in an easterly direction.  There is a tree or two that lost its battle with the water on some day in the past sitting not far out into the water, although some roots are still in the bank.  Camp is far enough back from here that a very large chunk of land would have to go before we’d be in any danger, so I don’t even worry about it.

Glenn has bought out the mince for dinner and has it defrosting, so I set about preparing the rissoles and give the mince a help to defrost by chopping it into smaller sections.  Once I start working the ingredients together, then mince can do nothing else but thaw quickly.

There will be no camp cake this weekend either.  Glenn is a bit upset by this, but what can we do?

We are pretty sure we won’t be out of bed much longer than after dinner.  So we set about making our rissole and onion sandwiches, while the rain continues to fall.  After dinner we clean up a bit, have our showers (that $1 gets you 5 minutes or so of hot water) and retire behind bug screens. 

As we ready ourselves for bed, all we can hear is the constant whine of those little locals and Glenn sets about killing those that have made their way inside.  Surprisingly it takes him nearly 30 minutes to eradicate them all, but it’s hilarious to see him swatting them.  Once they’ve all been slaughtered, we retire in comfort.  And the rain continues to fall.

Through the night, we are both woken by what sounded like thunder, but in the morning, turns out to be more trees falling in the creek.

Next morning it’s not raining!  Let me here you cheer “YAY”!  We are very happy about that.  The mosquitoes on the other hand, we’ll aren’t happy to find that they are still in residence and hungry.

We stay in bed with coffee for as long as we dare before we need to move.

Glenn suggests we wait til the canvas is dry and we get the flock outta there.  I quickly agree.  And so starts the pack up process.  Cleaning up the kitchen, packing up the table and chairs doesn’t take long.  Then we start drying as much of the outside as we can.  I always pack extra old towels for just this purpose.  They make it easy to remove any moisture sitting on the outside of the canvas and the miles of Velcro on the outside.  This done all we can do is wait for whatever moisture remains to evaporate.  Ideally, with the canvas will still be quite wet, this drying process should take a good day or two, but we don’t have that privilege today.  We have a matter of hours hopefully, unless another shower comes over.   
  Glenn got to use his new Swag tools ...
Thankfully we get those few hours.  It’s really not enough, but when another shower appears on the horizon, the camper lid gets flipped faster than you can say “Gee the mozzies are bad”.  We are hitched up and heading out around lunchtime.  We stop at the office to remove our names from the board and we are on the road.

As we head out to the main road, we notice fellas with 4WD’s and motorbikes on the side of the road.  I guess these are the bikes we could hear yesterday hooting north and south, now obviously through the state forest.

Once home, we need to get the camper back out to dry, but that won’t happen today as it’s still drizzling a bit.  I crack open a Hippo to soak up as much moisture as it can.  The following Saturday, we open up the camper and dry it out really well as it’s a gorgeously sunny and breezy day.  Giving it a few hours to dry and then closing it back up until we go camping again.   Thankfully we don’t find any mould.

Trip Kilometres:  178
Trip Duration: 48 hours





No comments:

Post a Comment