About Me

My photo
Queensland, Australia
Two Life Motto's: 1. It's All About The Journey 2. De Camino A La Verada - Do Not Stray From The Path.

Bush Camping ...

Bush Camping ...

I've created this blog mainly to let family and friends know where we have been "Bush Camping" of late as well as a permanent record for us. Sort of an online Scrapbook I guess.

We live in the South East Queensland region of Australia, so I am trying to camp in places that are, at most, 3 hours from Brisbane. Places you can visit on a quick weekend trip, over a long weekend period, or take a week or fortnight to explore. On occassion, we may venture much further afield (here's hoping) and show some other destinations we've managed to locate.

I've tried, where possible, to add links to important things. Such as websites for the places, towns, national parks, state forests, or places of interest. Please click those to take you away from my site, to theirs ... but don't forget to come back! I've added these so that you may get up to date information about these places.

If there is something that I haven't covered or that you can't locate information on ... Contact Me has been set up for you to send me an email. It's for comments or questions you may have about anything to do with the blog itself, my photo's, our camper trailer, or the destinations. Please don't hesitate to provide information on other places we can go, as we are always happy to visit another location.

You can also learn more about me and our camper trailer by visiting the Other Pages links.

Please Enjoy.
Tracey =^..^=

26.11.11 Andrew Drynan … The Puppies Big Day Out (again)

We hadn’t actually planned where we would go this weekend, it was a very quick decision and one that we were glad we made. 

The weather lately has been really warm.  Really, Really Warm.  But Saturday dawned overcast and remained so for the rest of the day, and this took a bit of the edge off the heat we’ve been experiencing.  Driving past Browns Plains, we are told by someone unknown to park out rig in Depot 218.  We aren’t sure who it is, or where Depot 218 is, but we laugh about it, saying things like “how did they know we were coming?”
and “but we aren’t even there yet”.  It takes over an hour from my house to make it to Andrew Drynan, which is along the Lions Road, east of Rathdowney.   

We are set up completely by 10am.  There are 4 other camps onsite, but by days end there are 7 in all.  We’ve set up at the closest picnic table to the road.  This allows us to remove 2 pegs from the equation so that puppies aren’t constantly getting tangled in them.  Don’t ask me about the poles though.
I bought a kite a few weeks ago and haven’t had a good wind to get it up and flying yet.  Today does provide a wind, but it’s not constant enough says Glenn, but that doesn’t stop me from trying it out though.  A gent from another camp suggests I can’t fly it very well … something about being a sheila … but it doesn’t deter me.  I give it a shot, but it appears Glenn might be right … or that other fellow is. 

Once we are truly ensconced, we head down to the creek over the road to take the pups for a swim.  It’s warm enough that they will love being all wet and moist dog smelling afterwards.  I take a dip myself, but Glenn says it’s too cold.  Slowly, we head back to the camp for a drink or three, with wet dogs in tow.  If you do cross this road for whatever reason, please keep a wary eye out for cars, bikes, utes and any other vehicle, as there aren’t signs up saying “beware pedestrians” or even a crossing for you.  It’s an S bend where visibility is obstructed until vehicles are almost on top of you, so keep an extra eye on kids if you have them.
We set up the OzPig very early for dinner (it’s not even lunch time yet) and get out some timber and an axe in lazy preparation. 

The Park Manager slowly ambles over.  Says he remembers me, and so he should seeing that this is our 4th sojourn to his humble camping area.  A question Glenn has wanted to ask him for awhile is whether he’s ever gotten his vehicle into 3rd, and apparently he has taken it for a good spin once or twice.  Whilst we are chatting, Glenn also asks why an area of the park has been roped off.  He says we are to witness a wedding today!  Glenn also asks him about the sign and why it says No Camels.  The PM has said that once there were some camels here (he’s been overseeing some 14 years now) and they left him quite a mess to clean up, so he decided that No Camels it is.  Can’t argue with that excellent reasoning!  He’s a lovely chap and doesn’t mind a chin wag with us while he takes our $12 for the night. 

After lunch, we sit around looking relaxed for quite a while and the wedding party ambles in car by car for about an hour.  There is a guitarist playing a few lazy tunes as well.  It’s a lovely setting for a wedding.  Lovely green grass, gentle breezy day, no rain, not overly hot … just about perfect.  Just before 3pm, the Bride arrives, so I head over for a photo.  Can’t resist it.  She’s dressed like a bride should be, but with a slight twist to the dress which I think is lovely.  I hope they have a wonderful life together who ever they are. 

Whilst I’m taking my photos, I notice a gent looking at me from his camp chair.  I approach him and we start to chat.  His name is John.  He’s just made his camper in the last 3 weeks and is towing it with a 4wd Beamer!  Bought a trailer, a tent and other assorted odds and sods and put it all together and it’s a lovely set up.  He’s been on the CTA.orghttp://www.campertrailers.org/ website and came across the AD meet a few weeks back.  Being that he didn’t have his CT ready by then, he’s decided that this is its maiden voyage.  He’s interested in our set up so I invite him over for a gander.  John & Glenn chat for awhile before John heads back for another beverage and the comfort of his camp chair. 
The wedding party starts to break up and we start thinking about dinner.  T-bones and veg … Devine!  We keep ourselves amused around camp until it’s time to cook.  I’ve put up my solar driven Xmas IcicleLights up and by 7pm they are starting to twinkle as they move in the breeze.  Only 1 train has gone through, and that was just before 7pm.   

After a peaceful dinner and no loud music from anywhere, we head to bed around 930pm, puppies inside on the hard floor. 

Next morning, I am woken by the heat of the day … and I’m under my favourite Minki blanket which is really warm in Winter, so probably a little inappropriate for Summer.  As I wake, my pups start to get restless.  I believe they’ve been quiet up until I awoke, and now they want Out.  Reckon they’ll need a drink and a wander along the tree line.  I’ll need a coffee. 

We start our day slowly and down some bacon and eggs leisurely.  Now it’s really starting to warm up.  The day is crystal clear and that sun is beating down mercilessly.  Reckon I got sunburnt yesterday, so I’m going to be extra careful today that I don’t make it worse. 

We head down the hill up from our camp with the puppies.  We are now 2 camps on this side of the creek and 2 on the other, so we let them off the lead once we hit the trail to the creek.  The pups are in the creek before we make it to the bottom.  My youngest loves the water, as do I, and does her submarine routine for ages.  I’ve bought down a ball and she’s become obsessed with it.  I decide to put it away so she can concentrate of having fun and not ‘the ball, the ball, the ball’ like her breed tends to do.  She worries about it at first, but soon forgets it was even there.  We swim and wander for nearly an hour before heading back to camp.  I do believe it’s getting hotter. 

Back at camp and after a refreshing beverage, we settle into the shade for a lazy few hours before we need to be packing our things away and heading back to reality.  I consider getting out the kite again, but the wind keeps dropping off.  Glenn says we need to be on the beach front to really have a good kite flying wind.  Maybe we’ll have to do that next time, as we haven’t done any camping on the beach so far. 
One more train goes past and from where we are positioned, we can only catch a fleeting glimpse of it.  Cows are mooing in the distant field and one is keen on staying under a shady tree.  Who says cows aren’t smart? 
Between refreshing drinks, we start putting things in order so that we can flip the lid and close things up rather quickly.  My car has been parked into the shade of a Bunya Pine since it started getting hot.  Yes, two cars until we get puppy transport cages organised for the ute if we wish to take them with us.  It’s working well so far.  I take a handheld CB and Glenn has the big unit in his ute, so we can keep in touch whilst driving along.  A great idea to keep him from getting lost as NavWoman can keep giving him directions.  

Cars and bikes have been cruising past since we arrived.  It’s not the busiest road in Australia by a long shot, but because it’s a very scenic one, not surprisingly, it has appeal for the weekend tourist, who drive it with relaxation in mind.   
We continue to relax until about 1230pm when we start packing away the larger items, making the bed and packing away the kitchen.  Stopping frequently to have another drink and cool down somewhat.  Did I mention it was rather hot and really sunny?  I was sure I had.  Totally packed and heading out by 230pm with a heavy heart.  It’s a very hot 36C trip home in my car.  Unfortunately my air conditioning is not working.  I’ve got a leak somewhere and all the gas has gone, but the air-con mechanic can’t identify where the gas is coming out, so I’m putting up with the hot interior for the time being.  Some of us have a perfectly working air-con and mention it over the CB on occasion. 

Once back home, the first thing I do is hose myself off.  And then it’s all the unpacking, adding of safety and security devices to the trailer, before I start doing the washing and other equally as interesting household chores. 


Trip Kilometres:  210
Trip Duration: 48 hours

1 comment:

Johno4280 said...

Thanks for the heads up, sounds like a great spot, we are heading there Sat 7/2/14
Love your site cheers
John and Sandee
(Jimboomba)

Post a Comment