About Me

My photo
Queensland, Australia
Two Life Motto's: 1. It's All About The Journey 2. De Camino A La Verada - Do Not Stray From The Path.

Bush Camping ...

Bush Camping ...

I've created this blog mainly to let family and friends know where we have been "Bush Camping" of late as well as a permanent record for us. Sort of an online Scrapbook I guess.

We live in the South East Queensland region of Australia, so I am trying to camp in places that are, at most, 3 hours from Brisbane. Places you can visit on a quick weekend trip, over a long weekend period, or take a week or fortnight to explore. On occassion, we may venture much further afield (here's hoping) and show some other destinations we've managed to locate.

I've tried, where possible, to add links to important things. Such as websites for the places, towns, national parks, state forests, or places of interest. Please click those to take you away from my site, to theirs ... but don't forget to come back! I've added these so that you may get up to date information about these places.

If there is something that I haven't covered or that you can't locate information on ... Contact Me has been set up for you to send me an email. It's for comments or questions you may have about anything to do with the blog itself, my photo's, our camper trailer, or the destinations. Please don't hesitate to provide information on other places we can go, as we are always happy to visit another location.

You can also learn more about me and our camper trailer by visiting the Other Pages links.

Please Enjoy.
Tracey =^..^=

01.10.11 Spring Gully Stays - Puppies Big Day Out

So this time Glenn wanted to go somewhere close.  I wanted to take the puppies with us.  So Spring Gully Stays it is.  Mostly because we think River Bend Camping will be completely packed and Flanagan’s is “a bit far” for this weekend.

We hit the road in a timely fashion, some puppies loaded in my car, and the camper in tow with his puppy in his car.  I know a bit of overkill, but that’s how you get 3 dogs to said location without much drama.  He connected up his CB and I switched on my handheld and away we go.  Wish it had been this easy back when I was tailing my parents around the countryside, but instead we used the old light flash for the car behind or the simply pull over for the car in front, ensuring we had a plan prior to leaving.  So much easier to chat about things driving along when one has a CB.
  Was quite surprised at how well the little handheld went as well considering it’s only 2 watt.  I bought it to communicate with my sister on a trip to our parents place one Christmas, but it was a failure and now I'm thinking on my sisters CB's part, or the small attachable microphone to mine ... yet to find out on that count.
So we arrived to the Bush Camping section and started setting up.  We knew Paul would be along later to collect people’s rubbish and fee’s, so didn’t bother telling him we’d arrived.  At around 1100 we are sitting back wondering what to do with the rest of our day.  There is a rooster wandering around the camp grounds crowing at random wherever he feels is necessary.
We leash up the puppies and take them for a well earned (not really but hey they are on holidays too) dip in the creek.  The first crossing before you turn into Spring Gully is the best area for swimming dogs.  Mine both love the water, even if the older one is a little wobbly on his legs now that he’s well over 77 in dog years, he still loves to get his paws wet at least.  My younger is swimming around like she’s on holidays and it’s great to watch her having such a great time.  Glenn’s dog is somewhat hesitant to go in and you can’t blame her as it is rather cold for this time of year, but she eventually gets soaked and returns to shore not keen to do it again.  Unlike my little submarine hooting around just below the surface, biting at the waves, and dog paddling against the current all in the name of good fun.

Once we returned to camp, I realised I’d left behind my alcohol and Glenn had left behind his thongs.  Bugger on both counts.  So after lunch I cruised back into Canungra to get me a drink and grab a few vegies at the local shops … I always say it’s a great way to help the local community even if it is only a few dollars here or there.  I will mention that the local café is doing a roaring trade, and there are people literally crawling all over town.  Population must increase by a few thousand over the weekend.
 Back at camp, we sit around enjoying the sounds of the creek, a few drinks and some chips.

The family beside us are on a 7 year extended camping trip , where they settled in Townsville for a little while and are now camping there way back to Tasmania where they hope to settle in a house again for awhile.  I’m told they are vegans but won’t hold it against them, and certainly won’t offer them any of my dinner. 
The rooster wanders over and my youngest dog goes towards it as it’s coming too close to me, but then finds that the cheeky rooster is just too much for her.  I had to laugh as the rooster sized up the dog, did it’s sideways walk towards her, dog not having an inkling as what was to come, and then it struck out once.  Poor Telashi headed for camp quicker than I’ve ever seen her move.  She wasn’t injured at all, but the bird simply gave her a good scare.  Now I know she’ll be wary if I’m not looking.  It did make me laugh though.
It starts getting a little overcast and by 1500 we are tarping up. End wall goes on quicker than you can say “hurry, put the end wall on” and a tarp comes out to cover the other side of the awning where we walk into the camper. This is where all the dog beds are and I’d hate for those to get wet. The wind whips, the rain comes down and sideways, it’s colder than winter, thundering …but it clears quickly to leave us colder than is warranted for a Spring Camp.

Dinner is on the boil by 1600.  Stew with chillies and outback seasoning, with bread and butter to serve.  I’m using my flashy new camp oven with flat lid for assisting with coal retention … something my other one wasn’t able to do as rounded lids aren’t so good for this sort of thing.  I have a smaller one as well so we can do deserts without having to clean the larger one at all, but haven’t used it yet though.  Glenn didn’t feel the need for Lemonade Scones this weekend.  He just doesn’t know what he’s missing out on.

After we’ve served up dinner, another camper with about a million kids, 3 or 4 further down from us, comes over with the offer of left over rice for the dogs which we think is really nice of them.  She’s been watching Glenn’s Rottweiler and wants to come closer for a look.  Thankfully Kiah is behaving and the lady gets a lick, before Kiah retreats to her bed. 
Once dinner is done and sorted, the wind picks up a lot more and it’s getting colder still.  Glenn decides that the dogs can sleep inside on the hard floor tonight on their beds … phew … didn’t need to encourage that too much.  Now let’s see if they settle down quickly and will be quiet through the night.  They’ve had a big day, so I’m sure they’ll sleep right through.

I’m trying to boil the kettle to warm up the shower water, but it’s now so windy and cold, it’s taken over ½ hour and still won’t whistle.  The fire is very warm to snuggle around, but the wind is getting stronger and colder, and we give up on the hope of a warm shower and head straight to bed.  As I lay there reading my book, I can hear more thunder in the distance, but it slowly rumbles away to a sprinkle of rain.  After an hour or so, I decide to get some sleep.  It’s probably all of 1900 or 1930.  Puppies are all dead to the world at my feet.  During the night, Glenn does a midnight run for the pups and they settle back down again until I let them out around 0600 the next morning.
Once I’m out in the chill of the morning I don’t see the point of heading back in to make Glenn cold, so I start the fire again and see if I can get the kettle to boil this time.  It’s going to be another beautiful day.  Clear blue sky with no evidence of clouds and the sun is seriously warm so early once it gets over the mountain tops.

I have a chuckle as the family with a million kids must have packed it all up last night in the dark and left as there is no trace of them this morning.  Maybe they should invest in a good camper trailer as ours kept us cosy last night.  I don’t think I could have stayed in a tent as they are just so thin and the wind must have sounded like a freight train coming through.  Pays to always have a good fly or tarp to cover things though.
The resident cows have wandered down to the grass and it’s all I can do to keep the dogs minds off them.  I leash them up as the cows mooooove closer and closer to camp.  One cow being so bold that it comes in to sniff around the campfire which freaks the younger two pups and makes me laugh, as I don’t think they’ve never seen a cow this close up before.  They growl a little, but the cow thinks nothing of it and wanders a bit closer for a sniff of them which scatters them as far as the leads will allow.  Once the cow moooooves on, they get bold again and head out to “sniff it’s wind”.
An hour later, I’m having coffee and Glenn emerges.  Kettle is once again on the boil for a shower which I’m going to enjoy.  Then it’s snags and eggs for breaky.   Pups get their breaky of what ever is left and kibble.  I forgot that rice given over last night.

Once breaky is out of the way, we do our slow pack up routine with many sit downs to fill in the gaps.  We also leash up the dogs and take them for a walk up to the end of the no through road on which we’ve driven in, just to see where it ends.  About another 1k or less, it ends at an electric gate with solar panel as well as a regular gate for larger vehicles.  As we get closer and closer to it, I notice a series of couches, tables and even a lovely new BBQ complete with bottle, which makes me laugh as it’s just so out of place …in the middle of the creek.  You really couldn’t get a nicer place to relax though, under the trees with the water flowing by, in a super comfy couch, with someone else cooking you a nice steak or sausage.
We give the dogs another wander in the creek and head back to finish the pack up.  It’s getting overcast again, so I’d say the remaining campers are in for more of the same this afternoon.  As we finish the pack up with lovely dry canvas, we decide to have a sanga before we go as it’s now lunchtime.  This done, we check the site for anything we’d missed.  The Vegie Gent approaches asking if we’d heard the weather forecast which we haven’t.  He thanks us for having such well behaved dogs and heads back to his site, presumably to find a weather report on the radio. 

All packed and we are on the road again.  Even my old dog stays awake for the entire trip home.  We are all unpacked and wishing we weren’t by 1500.

Trip Kilometres:  163
Trip Duration: 48 hours

2 comments:

Pete said...

Tracey,

I'm the newest of your Blog's followers and have been studying your Blog over the past month or so with great interest. This is a fantastic resource that you've generated for anyone camping in SEQ. You should seriously consider turning it into a book - it's a far more informative read on camping in our region that I have seen before.

Well done, and I look forward to your future installments.

Peter.

Kit_e said...

Thanks so much Pete,

I really appreciate your comment. I have thought about a book once or twice. Glad you are enjoying my research! Still have quite a few more to research and blog for you though.

As Carlisle Rogers (CTA Mag editor) says "The road is long and life is short", to which I add "Get Camping".

Tracey

Post a Comment